Imagery and words associated with travel have always taken up a majority of my dream board. One of the most pivotal and life changing trip I’ve ever taken, was my first solo international trip to Australia. I remember purchasing a Lonely Planet guide book of the country, thumbing through it for ideas and tearing off the front cover to place it on my dream board.
I would look at that image of Sydney’s Opera house and think about all the ways this trip would be different from past travels.
- This was not going to be a 2 week vacation. I decided early on that I wanted to be there for an extended amount of time. I would be quitting my jobs and become a backpacker with a loose agenda. I wanted the freedom to stop when I wanted, and linger in a place when I chose.
- I would go alone. I was drawn to the idea of an independent adventure and stepping outside my comfort zone.
- I would purchase a one-way ticket, and figure out the rest as time went on.
I placed the image of Sydney’s Opera House on my board and then I proceeded to manifesting my dream trip.
I’m a huge believer in goals so part of my manifesting and planning phase included setting a few concrete goals that included a departure date and budgeting how much money I wanted to save. From there I opened up a second savings strictly for travel. I initiated a direct deposit from my job so that a percentage dropped into my “Australia Adventure” fund every two weeks. I started telling people about my plans, and my dream (that was quickly turning into a reality) became even more real. And the more I told people about it, the more help I found and the more my trip began to organically unfold. A good friend knew someone I could stay with on the Sunshine Coast. I met someone through my work who was a recent transplant to the country and we exchanged numbers to meet up while I was there.
Things began falling into place when I kept visualizing, believing in my dream to make the trip independently, and stayed open to the abundance and options that were showing up. I even happened to save enough miles before my trip to have my one-way ticket paid for!
In my last post I wrote about inner dialogue and how fear and doubt can keep you from living your dreams and goals. My dream trip could have easily been deterred if I had I listened when my mind said, “the timing isn’t right” or “I should save up just a little more money” and“what happens if I leave and everything changes while I am gone?”
But I was aware that this journey was already in motion, that it was one of my hearts deepest desires and that it would transform me in ways that I couldn’t even image at the time. I was willing to move forward when doubt and fear stood in my path.
Have you been thinking about taking a big trip? Is their anything holding you back? Here are some ideas to get you moving forward with manifesting your adventure!
- Put it on your dream board! Maybe even create a specific board for travel (if you're like me and find it takes up a majority of the board anyways).
- Set small achievable goals like saving X amount of money by a certain date.
- Begin telling people about your dream! It's amazing the amount of support and help that arrives when you start talking about your intentions. Your loved ones want to see you succeed.
- Voice your fears and concerns to those you trust, make a plan for unforeseen events and circumstances (for example; losing your passport, luggage getting stolen, etc) and then move on. A lot of fear stems from not knowing what can happen, but that shouldn't stop you from fulfilling your dream adventure! Give thought to situations that may arise and create a plan for how to handle it.
What places are on our travel board? Have you had a trip that transformed you? Share with us in the comments below!